New Company Formed

On March 23rd articles of incorporation of The Bend Company were filed at Salem. The company is capitalized at $360,000. The incorporators are J. M. Lawrence, Franklin T. Griffith and Clyde M. McKay.

In the property which has been acquired by The Bend Company is included 3000 acre of timber land, 2000 acres of agricultural land, 1400 acres adjacent to town, 1300 platted lots, the P. B. D. Co. sawmill, the power and lighting plants, city water system and various water power and irrigation rights.

It is understood that J. M. Lawrence and A. O. Hunter will return to Bend the latter part of this week.

Source: Bend Bulletin

Bend Townsite Changes Hands

The Bend Townsite and its subsidiarity holdings has changed hands. An agreement was entered into  and a partial payment made in Portland on March 2nd, whereby the townsite, mill, power dam and electric equipment, and the water system, pass to the control of the Bend Company. A. M. Drake, and Frank Robertson, Vice President and President, respectively, of the present Bend Townsite Co., are completely eliminated.

It was found to be impractical  to handle the interests of Robertson and Drake separately, so the former’s fifth interest in the Bend Townsite Co. and half interest in the Water Company were taken and will be consolidated with the Drake holdings in the new corporation

According to J.M. Lawrence who returned to Bend Monday evening, the actual transfer of the property will occur on March 20th

“As yet the new corporation Is not organised nor its officers elected,” said Mr. Lawrence. “However, as soon as tho Incorporation is effected, and its officers elected, no time will be lost in inaugurating an active campaign of development. Among other things a new schedule of property values will be prepared and extensive publicity work will lie undertaken.”

It Is understood that A.O. Hunter will have charge of the realty and advertising end of the business, and that Clyde McKay, on behalf of the Mueller Lumber Co., will have charge of the lumber interest of the new organization.

Among the stockholders of the new company are, the D.E. Hunter Realty Co. of Dayton, Ohio, which already has extensive holdings in Bend, the Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Co. of Minneapolis, Minnesota,  Ed. C. Mueller of the Christian-Mueller Lumber Co. of Davenport, Iowa, J. M. Lawrence and others. Both the above named lumber companies have heavy timber holdings near Bend. Milling of their holdings at Bend naturally may be expected to follow their newly acquired realty interests there.

For more than a month A. M. Drake has been in Portland from his winter home in Pasadena, California, conferring with the other parties in the deal. Lawrence has been working on the proposition for several months, as has A.O. Hunter, and others.

Sam Brooks of the Brooks-Scanlon Co., together with Clyde McKay, was In Bend in the latter part of January with A. O. .Hunter, making a careful examination of the town and the property in which his company proposed to interest itself.

The present townsite company acquired its holdings early in the spring of 1910, A. M. Drake turning over the management of affairs to Frank Robertson. It is understood the holdings affected by the present transfer include all the unsold portions of the Bend Townsite, Center, Park, Lava Road and North Additions and some 100 acres adjacent; in the neighborhood of 5000 acres of Timber; the old Pilot Butte Development Co. lumber mill; and the properties of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., including Bend’s water and light system, the power dam on the Deschutes, water rights, etc.

A. M. Drake came to Bend in 1900, the next year commencing the irrigation work, which in 1903 was taken over by the D. I. &. P. Co. Much of the townsite property was acquired through the application of script.

Source: Bend Bulletin

EXTRA! Townsite Deal Goes Through

Bend Company is Name of New Organization which Will Control Townsite Holdings, and Power and Water Systems.

The Bend Townsite and its subsidiary holdings has changed hands. An agreement him been entered into, and a partial payment made, whereby the townsite, mill, power dam and electric equipment, and the water system pass to the control of the Bend Company. A. M. Drake,and Frank Robertson, Vice President and President, respectively, of the present Bend Townsite Co., are entirely eliminated.

Below is the text of a message just received from J.M. Lawrence:

bend-soldAgreement for the sale of all interests at Bend of A. M. Drake and Frank Robertson has been signed, and partial payment has been made. It was found to be impracticable to handle these interests separately, so Robertson’s contingent fifth interest of the Bend Townsite Company and half interest of the Water Company are taken and will be consolidated with the Drake holdings in a new consolidation to be known as the Bend Company.

Neither Drake or Robertson will have any share in the new company. The purchase of the entire holdings required material modifications of the plan contemplated when negotiations were entered upon two months ago, but speedy completion of the detail is nowlargely a matter of routine.

A. O. Hunter and Clyde McKay have gone cast to close matters there, and I will push the work here at this end. (Signed) J.M. LAWRENCE.

It is understood, though as yet not officially announced, that among the stockholders of the new company are, the D.E. Hunter realty Co. of Dayton, Ohio, which already has extensive holdings in Bend, the Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Co. of St. Paul Minnesota, the Mueller Lumber Co. of Davenport, Iowa, J.M. Lawrence and a number of Portland and other capitalists. Both the above named lumber companies have heavy timber holdings near Bend. Milling of their holdings naturally may be expected to follow their newly acquired realty interests.

Drake, who through nominally was not the head of the present townsite company, it is understood controlled by far the major part of the stock. For more than a month he has been in Portland fro his winter home in Pasadena, California, conferring with the other parties in the deal. Lawrence has been working on the proposition for several months, as has A.O. Hunter, and others.

Sam Brooks of the Brooks-Scanlon Co., together with Clyde McKay was in Bend in the latter part of January with A.O. Hunter, making a careful examination of the town and the property in which his company proposed to interest itself.

The present townsite the company acquired its holdings early in the spring of 1910. A.M. Drake turning over the management of affairs to Frank Robertson. It is understood the holdings affected by the present transfer include all the unsold portions of the Bend Townsite, Center, Park, Lava Road, and North Additions and some 400 acres adjacent; in the neighborhood of 5000 acres of timber; the old Pilot Butte Development Co. lumber mill; and the properties of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., including Bend’s water and light system, the power dam on the Deschutes, water rights, etc.

A.M. Drake came to Bend in 1900, the next year commencing the irrigation work, which in 1903 was taken over by the D. I. & P. Co. Much of the townsite property was acquired through the application of script.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Robertson arrive in Bend tomorrow night. It is understood they will leave, after about a week, for Europe.

Source: Bend Bulletin