Injuries In Highway Accident Result In Death of T. H. Foley

End Comes as Shock as Recoverd Expected

Stores Will Close

Injuries received in an automobile accident the evening before on the Central Oregon highway resulted in the death of T. H. Foley, general manager of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., at 1 o’clock at the St. Charles Hospital Sunday afternoon. Death came just after an operation had been performed to relieve a condition accompanying an intestinal paralysis.

It had been established that vital organs had escaped unhurt, and a favorable report had already been sent out from the surgery when heart action, which had been strong and normal throughout the operation, ceased.

Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o’clock tomorrow afternoon from the home for relatives and intimate friends. Rev. F.H. Beards of Baptist church will be in charge. The Elks burial service will be used at Pilot Butte cemetery. Bend stores will close from 2 to 3:30 o’clock. It was announced through the Commercial club this morning.


The accident occurred at 7 o’clock Saturday night when Foley with his older son, Billy, was returning to Bend from a trip to Burns. Within a mild this side of Millican while driving at a moderate rate of speed on a straight stretch of road, the heavy touring car turned completely around, rolling over as it did so. Billy was thrown clear, suffering only a broken right forearm. His father was also thrown free from the machine, but the auto followed him, rolling on him and crushing in the right side of his chest.

Tourists Help in Rescue

With only one arm against a two ton weight Billy worked desperately to lift the load from his father, then started for help. Five minutes from the time of the accident a car driven by R.N. Palmerton of Bend, with Mr. and Mrs. E. Grinstead also in the vehicle, came up, but the two men were unable to raise the car sufficiently to allow Foley to be removed. The rescue was accomplished within 15 minutes after the wreck by the aid of two parties of tourists who offered their help  Foley and his son were brought into Bend in Palmerton’s car, and taken at once to St. Charles hospital.

At first it was considered that Foley’s injuries, while excruciatingly painful, were not necessarily dangerous, especially as it was ascertained that the lung was not punctured. Nevertheless an effort was made to communicate with Mrs. Foley who was in their apple orchard near Eugene. She could not be reached until Sunday morning. Then she started for Bend accompanied by a Eugene friend, but the trip could not be completed until mid-afternoon.

Cause is Sought

When the final word came from the surgery scores of friends and business connections in Oregon, and in the east and south were notified by wire and telephone, and telegrams sent to Foley’s mother, Mrs. Ellen Foley, in Montreal.

An investigation is being made by the State Traffic Officer Earl B. Houston to determine the exact cause of the accident, whether due to temporary blindness caused by the glare of the setting sun, or condition of the road.

Aside from Billy there are two younger children in the family– Robert, who was with his mother and who accompanied her on her return to Bend, and Mary Ellen, who had been in Newport. She was met in Eugene and brought home by R.S. McClure.

Terrence H. Foley was a native of Newfoundland. He was born at Placentia, a seaport town of the island, on December 1, 1879. His father was the captain of a schooner which put out of Placentia bay.

Married in Alaska

In his youth Foley’s parents moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts. There he obtained an excellent groundwork in the electrical business. About the time of the Klondike gold rush he started to work his way west, eventually reaching Alaska, where he prospected and mined for a time. Then he gave up mining to take charge of the power plant at Fairbanks. In was while in Alaska that he met Miss Alice Adams, a graduate of the University of Oregon, who in 1906 became his wife.

He came to Bend 15 years ago at the suggestion of Floyd Dement who had known him in the northern town and who had already located in Bend and established himself in the hardware business. Arriving here Foley found employment with A.M. Drake, working directly under Frank Robertson in Drake’s power and light development. He continued when Drake’s interests were taken over by the Bend Company, and became manager when Chicago capital effected another change of ownership of the property. In the year afte the world war he was advanced again, this time to general managership. He held the same position through the succeeding changes of ownership, and had become vice president of the company as well. In both these offices, his judgement was relied on implicitly by the owners of the company, and developments made here by the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of dollars, were almost entirely on his recommendations.

Community Work Important

Foley was prominent in many branches of community and civic work including the commercial club, boy scouts, Bend Amateur Athletic club, and others. In the world war, in addition to many preparedness activities in which he joined, he took training at Eugene in readiness for field duty. At the time of his death he was exalted ruler of Bend lodge No. 1371, B.P.O.E. He was first president of the Bend Volunteer Fire department, and last year headed the Red Cross.

Source: Bend Bulletin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *