Leonard W. Peoples
708 NW Riverside
Bend, Oregon, 97701
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
823 N Capitol Street NE
Washington DC 10426
Subject: Bend Hydroelectric Project FERC No. 2643
These comments represent a private citizen who was born in Bend, raised in a house that faces Mirror Pond and has returned to the same house after retirement.
I request that you reissue the operating license to Pacific Power and Light for the continued use of their generating facilities for the following reasons:
- PP&L built this dam and maintains it without any expense to the tax payer.
- It provides employment at skilled jobs that pay more than minimum wage.
- With all the pressure on the local fishing areas by the sport fishermen, it is unlikely that the few additional fish that would benefit from the removal of the turbines would survive of even be noticed.
- The cost of the environmental impact statement would be a waste of money as the EIS is intended to ensure that all aspects of a project are properly evaluated before it is built. Since this project has been built for 70 years, it is just a little late.
- The residents of Bend would never let the dam be removed as it would drain Mirror Pond and reduce the river to a small stream with large mudflats on each side. Since the dam would remain and without PP&L to maintain the dam, it would fall to local taxpayers to assume this cost. This would result in more government agencies and more taxes. This is an activity that should be avoided in this time of large governmental deficits.
Leonard M. Peoples