Pilot Butte Is Presented To State For Public Park

terrence-h-foley
Terrence H. Foley, in whose name the Butte was purchased and dedicated as a State Park in 1928. This photo is from the early 1920’s. Photo Courtesy: Pilot Butte Partners and the Foley family.

Pilot butte, historic landmark of Central Oregon, Sunday afternoon became property of the state, to be used for park purposes, when Governor I. L. Patterson accepted from Mrs. Charles A. Brown of Chicago a deed to the aged volcano which years ago guided emigrants to a watering and camping place on the Deschutes river.

With the crown of the butte lines by two rows of automobiles  the presentation program got under way a few minutes after 3 o’clock when Robert W. Sawyer, who presided, introduced Mrs. Brown. First delivering a message from the donors, Mrs. Brown handed the deed to the grounds to Governor Patterson, the second speaker introduced. H.B. Van Duzer, chairman of the Oregon highway commission, followed Governor Patterson on the brief program and R.S. Hamilton was the concluding speaker, touching on the life and work of Foley.

Tablet is Unveiled

The presentation ceremonies ended when Miss Mary Ellen Foley, daughter of the man for whom the park was named, unveiled the memorial tablet to which bears the world: “To Terrence Hardington Foley who devoted his energy, courage and ability to developing the resources of nature, this natural monument is dedicated as a fitting testimonial to his great value as a pioneer and citizen.” The tablet was veiled with the American flag of the local lodge of Elks, organization of which Foley was exalted ruler when he died, on April 16, 1926, as the result of an automobile accident.

References to the early history of Oregon and tributes to Foley characterized the various speeches, although praise for Pilot butte as an observatory was frequent. In concluding his address, Governor Patterson, after expressing his appreciation of the gift to the state, said that in his opinion, the view from Pilot Butte is the most impressive in Oregon. “When my friends mention they are going to Bend, I tell them by all means to visit Pilot butte,” the governor remarked.

“I hope the acceptance of this gift will inspire people of Oregon to make similar gifts, that future generations may enjoy these parks,” said the governor. The deed given him by Mrs. Brown was in turn handed to Van Duzer, the governor explaining that the highway commission of the state is charged with the duty of administering the state parks.

Struggles of Pioneers Recalled

“The early history of many parts of Oregon is a history of settlement,” said Sawyer in preface to his introduction of Mrs. Brown, continuing; “Unlike these, the first history of this section is one of travel. First these came the trappers who ascended the rivers hunting for beaver. Slightly over a year ago we gathered to dedicate the Crooked river bridge and park named for one of the first of these trappers– Peter Skene Ogden. In time, the trappers were followed by emigrants who came across the country from water hole and spring creek and river, bound for the settlements beyond the mountains.

“Always they sought the most direct route to their destination that the oxen could travel and always they sought feed and water- chiefly water. These was water in abundance in the constant Deschutes, but for miles of its course precipitous canyon walls made access difficult if not impossible. At a few places, however, the walls were flattened and the river emerged from the continuing canyon to flow through the meadows with gentle banks and level shores where wagons could be drawn in, camp made, the cattle watered and fed and the party rested against the next hard pull. One of these Elims was on the river here and for years travelers rested on Sisemoro meadows before turning south and gaining that last glimpse of the river’s curve that they called ‘Farewell Bend.’

“Easy access to water was their reason for coming here and they were guided by the butte on which we now are– Pilot butte. Standing alone and in sight for miles acreoss the sagebrush plain, Pilot butte told the traveler where he was and where his course lay to reach the river. It was a landmark.” Sawyer then reviewed the purchase of the butte by Miller, Brown and Welles and its presentation to the state.

T.H. Foley is Honored

Tribute to the memory of Foley was paid in the message from Brown, speaking on behalf of the donors, which was delivered by Mrs. Brown. This message follows:

“I speak on behalf of the donors of this park, who find a double source of gratification in participating in this ceremony of dedication”

“We are gratified to show the appreciation, extending far beyond the boundaries of Oregon, of the noble attributes and achievements of this proud commonwealth; and we are gratified that, in doing this, we are aiding this community in commemorating the high qualities of Terrence H. Foley, whose kindness, courage and devotion to the public welfare won him wide affection and esteem.”

“May this imposing natural monument, which is linked with the thrilling story of Oregon, and which served as a pilot to the first pilgrims to this beautiful land, stand as a perpetual inspiration to future generations to vital deeds of heroism such as were performed by the pioneers who founded and built this priceless segment of our immortal national structure; and may it, in doing honor to the sterling qualities of Terrence Foley say to the passerby;”

“Lift up your eyes, Oh stranger to the hills/ And view the scenes o’er which I lover to roam:/ Here I with Nature strove for humankind/ And here has nature granted me a home”

“For this sacred purpose we give the state of Oregon forever this Pilot Butte park.”

The concluding address, delivered by Hamilton, reviewed the life and work of Foley, with special reference to his local civic activities- as Red cross chairman, as Boy Scout executive, as president and director of the Bend Chamber of Commerce, as exalted ruler of the local order of Elks.

Although gusts of September wind whipped over the exposed summit of the butte while the program was being held, with several overcoats in evidence, the weather was good for fall. Clouds capped the Cascade peaks and cloud shadows raced over the vast prairie seen from the butte.

The task of handling the traffic on the butte was performed without a hitch. Four state officers, Jay Saltzman, The Dalles; Earl Houston, Eugene; Herbert Hamilton, Redmond, and Charles Dovin, Bend, were on the job.

All members of the highway commission, Van Duzer of Portland, Sawyer of Bend and C.E. Gates of Medford, were present. Roy Klein, state highway engineer, attended the program also.

Source: Bend Bulletin ©1928

Injuries In Highway Accident Result In Death of T. H. Foley

End Comes as Shock as Recoverd Expected

Stores Will Close

Injuries received in an automobile accident the evening before on the Central Oregon highway resulted in the death of T. H. Foley, general manager of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., at 1 o’clock at the St. Charles Hospital Sunday afternoon. Death came just after an operation had been performed to relieve a condition accompanying an intestinal paralysis.

It had been established that vital organs had escaped unhurt, and a favorable report had already been sent out from the surgery when heart action, which had been strong and normal throughout the operation, ceased.

Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o’clock tomorrow afternoon from the home for relatives and intimate friends. Rev. F.H. Beards of Baptist church will be in charge. The Elks burial service will be used at Pilot Butte cemetery. Bend stores will close from 2 to 3:30 o’clock. It was announced through the Commercial club this morning.

foley-funeral-notice

The accident occurred at 7 o’clock Saturday night when Foley with his older son, Billy, was returning to Bend from a trip to Burns. Within a mild this side of Millican while driving at a moderate rate of speed on a straight stretch of road, the heavy touring car turned completely around, rolling over as it did so. Billy was thrown clear, suffering only a broken right forearm. His father was also thrown free from the machine, but the auto followed him, rolling on him and crushing in the right side of his chest.

Tourists Help in Rescue

With only one arm against a two ton weight Billy worked desperately to lift the load from his father, then started for help. Five minutes from the time of the accident a car driven by R.N. Palmerton of Bend, with Mr. and Mrs. E. Grinstead also in the vehicle, came up, but the two men were unable to raise the car sufficiently to allow Foley to be removed. The rescue was accomplished within 15 minutes after the wreck by the aid of two parties of tourists who offered their help  Foley and his son were brought into Bend in Palmerton’s car, and taken at once to St. Charles hospital.

At first it was considered that Foley’s injuries, while excruciatingly painful, were not necessarily dangerous, especially as it was ascertained that the lung was not punctured. Nevertheless an effort was made to communicate with Mrs. Foley who was in their apple orchard near Eugene. She could not be reached until Sunday morning. Then she started for Bend accompanied by a Eugene friend, but the trip could not be completed until mid-afternoon.

Cause is Sought

When the final word came from the surgery scores of friends and business connections in Oregon, and in the east and south were notified by wire and telephone, and telegrams sent to Foley’s mother, Mrs. Ellen Foley, in Montreal.

An investigation is being made by the State Traffic Officer Earl B. Houston to determine the exact cause of the accident, whether due to temporary blindness caused by the glare of the setting sun, or condition of the road.

Aside from Billy there are two younger children in the family– Robert, who was with his mother and who accompanied her on her return to Bend, and Mary Ellen, who had been in Newport. She was met in Eugene and brought home by R.S. McClure.

Terrence H. Foley was a native of Newfoundland. He was born at Placentia, a seaport town of the island, on December 1, 1879. His father was the captain of a schooner which put out of Placentia bay.

Married in Alaska

In his youth Foley’s parents moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts. There he obtained an excellent groundwork in the electrical business. About the time of the Klondike gold rush he started to work his way west, eventually reaching Alaska, where he prospected and mined for a time. Then he gave up mining to take charge of the power plant at Fairbanks. In was while in Alaska that he met Miss Alice Adams, a graduate of the University of Oregon, who in 1906 became his wife.

He came to Bend 15 years ago at the suggestion of Floyd Dement who had known him in the northern town and who had already located in Bend and established himself in the hardware business. Arriving here Foley found employment with A.M. Drake, working directly under Frank Robertson in Drake’s power and light development. He continued when Drake’s interests were taken over by the Bend Company, and became manager when Chicago capital effected another change of ownership of the property. In the year afte the world war he was advanced again, this time to general managership. He held the same position through the succeeding changes of ownership, and had become vice president of the company as well. In both these offices, his judgement was relied on implicitly by the owners of the company, and developments made here by the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of dollars, were almost entirely on his recommendations.

Community Work Important

Foley was prominent in many branches of community and civic work including the commercial club, boy scouts, Bend Amateur Athletic club, and others. In the world war, in addition to many preparedness activities in which he joined, he took training at Eugene in readiness for field duty. At the time of his death he was exalted ruler of Bend lodge No. 1371, B.P.O.E. He was first president of the Bend Volunteer Fire department, and last year headed the Red Cross.

Source: Bend Bulletin

Tumalo Water for City’s Use is Authorized

Will Ask Civic Aid

Answers to B. W. L. & P. Questionnaire Favor, Municipal Ownership and Change of Source of Supple for Water Used Here 

Authorization to proceed with construction of a line to bring Tumalo creek water to Bend has been give, T. H. Foley, general manager for the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., stated today on his return from Portland where he conferred with representatives of the chief stockholders. This is in spite of the fact that a questionnaire recently sent out by the company showed a majority in favor of municipal ownership. It is rather to the city’s interest that the Tumalo line should be built before any transfer of title, Foley believes, and pointed out that the fact that the company will start construction does not in any way hinder the city from later acquiring title to the water system.

One thing, however, the company is not ready to do–to pay for Tumalo water rights to obtain pure water for Bend. Consequently, Foley will ask the assistance of the Commercial club and of the city council in inducing the state to accept the company’s filing. Construction work alone will cost about $20,000, according to revised estimates, and the expense of a water right cannot be added to this, says Foley.

Change Favored

In the questionnaire, two queries were put, the first: “Assuming the price is reasonable, and the water company will take the city’s bonds in payment–do you favor purchase of the water system by the city?”

On this, 230 votes were favorable and 163 opposed purchase.

The second question read: “Whether the city or the company owns the water system–do you favor getting the city water supply from Tumalo creek rather than the Deschutes, even if it necessary to increase water rates?”

Two hundred and ninety-four were for Tumalo water; the present water supply is good enough for the remaining 88 who voted.

Source: Bend Bulletin

Foley Outlines Power Scheme

Burns, July 18–Plans to furnish power to Burns and other Harney valley points from the Deschutes river and its tributaries were tentatively mentioned here by T. H. Foley, manager of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., before the city council, when he met with that body to learn its attitude toward granting a franchise for such power development.

The council expressed itself as favorable to power development, but stated that it would not entered into any definite agreement until the sawmill interests here were consulted, as they might wish to furnish power generated from use of waste material.

Foley stated that he would not expect the council to do otherwise, and explained that he was not asking any definite promise or agreement at present.

Foley will leave tonight or in the morning for Burns, to confer further with officials there in the matter of proposed power development.

Source: Bend Bulletin

Will Ask City To Take Over Water System

Development Likely
Survey Will Determine Cost of Work on Tumalo to Produce 5,000 h. p.
Local Organization of Company Remain Unchanged

The L. E. Myers Company recent purchaser of the stock of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co., has no desire to continue in the water business, and would greatly prefer to sell to water system to the city of Bend. This was the report today of T. H. Foley, vice president and general manager of the local company, following his return from Chicago where he conferred with Myers and other of the chief stockholders.

The water system, Foley said, would be offered to the city at inventory price. He expects to make a statement on this point before the Bend Commercial club at its meeting Tuesday.

Obtaining a water supply from Tumalo creek, in addition to construction costs, would mean payment of a $50,000 charge to the state, and a $20,000 charge to the Deschutes County Municipal Improvement district for water rights, Foley said. These water rights payments, he believes  could be avoided were the city the owner of the system.

More Power Wanted

Additional power development will be initiated with the change in ownership of Bend Water, Light & Power stock, Foley said. As the first step in this direction, V. H. Reinoking, engineer for the company, will arrive in Bend Tuesday to direct a survey on which will be based estimates of cost of developing 5,000 horsepower in the five mile of Tumalo creek between the Columbia Southern intake and the Anderson ditch.

This proposed development would add a power supply of double the amount possible with the company’s present plant.

Reelection of Foley by the new stockholders as vice president and general manager will mean that the local organization will remain unchanged.

Source: Bend Bulletin

Biography of Terence H. Foley

Terence H. Foley, vice president and general manager of the Bend Water, Light & Power Company and organizer and vice president and general manager of the Deschutes Ice Company, displays in the conduct of his business enterprises qualities which show him to be thoroughly conversant with modern day business conditions. He is always actuated by a spirit of enterprise and progressiveness that accomplishes results, and success is attending his well defined efforts.

A native of Canada, Terence H. Foley was born at Montreal in 1879, a son of John and Mary (Duke) Foley, both of whom have passed away. For many years his father was a seafaring man and his death occurred in 1900. Mrs. Foley’s demise occurred in Montreal in 1918.

At the age of four years Mr. Foley removed with his parents to Boston, Massachusetts, and there he received his primary and high school education. At an early age he showed a marked leaning toward electricity and in due time took a course in Gray’s Electrical College, a technical institution in Boston. In 1903 he made his initial step into that line of business and the following year went up into the Yukon territory. In 1905 he became manager of the Northern Commercial Company, which operated the water, light and power plant at Fairbanks, Alaska, and he remained with that concern as manager until 1910. In that year he came to Oregon and locating in Bend, became associated with the electric company of that place. In 1912, upon the reorganization of the company as the Bend Water, Light & Power Company, he became vice president and general manager of the company and is still active in those positions. By reason of close application and thoroughness Mr. Foley has brought to his company a great degree of success. He is a firm believer in serving the public at low rates, thereby widening the field of the company, which is the largest in the northwest. His policy has proved very successful not only in winning the good will and confidence of all of its customers but in paying a good interest on the six hundred thousand dollar investment. It is said that the rate for cooking by electricity in Bend is the lowest in the surrounding country. Mr. Foley is not only interested in that company but as one of the organizers of the Deschutes Ice Company is vice president and general manager of that corporation. He has thoroughly identified himself with the interests of Bend and is ex president of the Bend Commercial Club, of which body he is now a director; is president of the Bend Holding Company, which body built the handsome gymnasium now occupied by the American Legion; is chairman of the board of directors of the Y. M. C. A.; and is chairman of the public policy committee of the Northwest Light & Power Association. Mr. Foley was the organizer of the Bend fire department, considered the best in the state, and was its first executive.

In 1906 occurred the marriage of Mr. Foley and Miss Cecile Adams, a daughter of W. H. Adams, one of the pioneer attorneys of Portland. He was one of the earliest members of the legal profession in that city and held the office of city attorney for many years. He is also credited with being one of the three organizers of the republican party in Oregon. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Foley three children have been born: William T., a high school student; Maryellen, a grade school pupil; and Robert H. Mrs. Foley is a member of the Baptist church and is superintendent of the Sunday school. She is not only active in church work and in the social and club circles of the city, but is a model mother and an excellent housewife.

Mr. Foley’s fraternal affiliations are confined to the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. During the World war he was one of the most devoted workers in central Oregon. He was county chairman of the Red Cross, chairman of the Y. M. C. A., county chairman for all the various drives, and was a member of the Liberty Loan board. Mr. Foley is accounted one of the energetic, prosperous and capable business men of the town, a stanch supporter of all worthy and beneficial movements, and a general favorite among those with whom he has come into contact. While exceedingly active and capable in civic affairs, the two most noticeable characteristics of Mr. Foley are genuine modesty and a diffident geniality.

From: History of Oregon Illustrated, Vol. 3
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company
Chicago – Portland 1922

Praise Given Bend’s Spirit

“The city was large and great, but the people were few and the houses not yet builded.”

That was the way Bend impressed Charles A. Brown, president of the Bend Water, Light & Power company, on his first visit here, eight years ago, he declared yesterday at the Commercial club luncheon, emphasizing his point with quotations from scriptures. Now, after noting the development which the city has made, he describes the spirit of Bend as true vision, the inclination to live in the promises of the future, rather than in performances of the past.

The success of the public service corporation which he heads, Mr. Brown declared, had been due to the efficient work of T. H. Foley, who has been in charge of operations here. He announced the promotion of Mr. Foley to the general managership of the company. From the auditor’s report, submitted by Arch J. Tourtellotte of Portland, Mr. Brown quoted the statement that the Bend Water, Light & Power company is among tho best in the state, and that two of its great elements of strength lie in the utter absence of promotion graft and the friendly attitude of the people.

Mr. Foley remarked briefly that he considered the success of the company due to the men who had been willing to invest their money in earlier days, when the future at Bend was not assured.

Source: The Bend Bulletin

New Fish Ladder is Being Built

new-fish-ladder

In compliance with a request from the state fish and game commission, the Bend Water, Light and Power Co. yesterday commenced work on a large fish ladder at their power dam in this city. The new work is necessitated by the plan for making the river open to salmon coming up from the Columbia to spawn, and the fishway already installed at the dam was insufficient in size to allow the passage of the big fish.

The ladder now under construction will cost in the neighborhood of $500, Manager T. H. Foley estimates.

Source: Bend-Bulletin-5-01-1919-p5

 

Danielson Secures Power Co. Contract

The letting of a contract to M. J. Danielson to concrete the spillway above the Bend Water, Light & Power plant was announced this morning by T. H. Foley, manager of the power company. The improvement is to start at once, and will be for the purpose of strengthening the spillway without raising the height of the water, Mr. Foley stated.

Mr. Danlelson has handled a number of contracts or the kind in Bend In the last few years.

Source: The Bend Bulletin

Power Plant To Increase Size

Bend Water, Light & Power Co. Will Complete City Plant by Putting in Final Unit–
Cost Will Be About $30,000.

Where Power Plant Will Make Addition.

power-house-1917
Present plant of Bend Water, Light & Power Co., containing two generating units, to be added to by construction of a third unit on north (left) end.

power-plant-increase-1917Construction of the third and probably final unit of the city plant of the Bend Water, Light & Power Co. will begin at once, according to an announcement made by manager T. H. Foley this morning. Mr. Foley’s statement followed the receipt of a telegram from K. B. Miller of Chicago, stockholder in the company, and its expert electrical engineer, to effect that necessary machinery had been contracted and directing that concrete work for the the addition be begun at once.

The new unit will connect with the present building, occupying space left for growth when the present plant was built in 1912 and will mark the building’s completion. It will be about 35×40 feet in size, making the whole building about 100×40.

The machinery ordered for the new unit includes a 600 horse power water wheel and a 600 kilowatt generator, adding over 50 per cent to the capacity of the plant, which now operates two 500 kilowatt generators.

$30,000 to Be Cost.

Building and machinery will cost around $30,000. Concrete work is to be begun at once and it is expected that the building will be ready for occupancy and the machinery installed in about five months.

Other work in which the company is engaged at present includes the laying of a 1400 line of eight inch pipe to connect the west side reservoir with the pipe line in Boulevard addition for the purpose of preventing the water shortage on the west side, which has occurred in past seasons.

Source: Bend Bulletin